Thursday, February 27, 2014

LouTex Day 5

February 27, 2014

This was more of a touristy day, and it was warmer (up to 65 degrees) with blue skies. And we had a great sleep. I walked the ponds and we got a great shot of this guys fishing near us:

1-DSCN6129

We headed to the Longfellow-Evangeline State Historic Site not far away in St.Martinville. I had read good reviews on TripAdvisor. And it was lovely. I don’t think I read the poem (but will when I get home). The name for the park is a bit of a misnomer. What it really is is a celebration of Creole and Cajun culture from the area.

After a movie, the Creole side tour guide took our small group (us, a couple from Scotland and a couple in their 80’s celebrating their 7th anniversary). The Creole (descendants of Europeans born in Louisiana) side featured the “cottage” of an affluent local Creole family (this was original) and the Cajun (descendant of the original Acadians from Canada) side depicted a typical modest farm on the shores of Bayou Teche. This side had recreations with some artifacts on display. Here are some comparative shots:

The houses:

1-DSCN61401-DSCN6150

…the dining areas:

1-DSCN61381-DSCN6147

The bedroom in the Creole house had a beautiful “Rolling Pin Bed”. The decoration between the posts at the head detaches and is used to fluff and roll the mattress!

1-DSCN6137

It was beautiful and interesting. Much to think about in terms of Creoles and Cajuns, slavery, and the preservation of the past (real or imagined). The Cajun tour guide was outspoken about many things. Very thought-provoking.

We drove into St. Martinville and visited the above-ground graveyard with the oldest crypt we saw from the 1770’s:

1-DSCN6154

and the contemporary mausoleum:

1-DSCN6157

The town has the Live Oak from the Evangeline story:

1-DSCN6158

…and the Evangeline statue:

1-DSCN6170

This statue was interesting:

1-DSCN6174

…particularly when you read the inscription (yes, that says “Roving Savage Tribe” and was dedicated in 1961:

1-DSCN6173

The St. Martin de Tours Church was beautiful:

1-DSCN61651-DSCN6169

and the town was like a modest New Orleans French Quarter (we even bought some freshly-made beignets):

1-DSCN6175

We decided against a trip around Lake Martin, recommended for birding, and headed to Lake Charles for our return visit to the Creole Nature Trail tomorrow. When we stopped for gas, I noticed a sign to an RV park ($10 to park-$25 for full service). We’re here for the night along with workers in travel trailers and others in the trailer park. Oh, and there’s a train!

I’ll post a view from my chair tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment