Day 23
Best Day EVER! Okay, there have been great days with family and friends for sure, but this was unbelievable.
Up early...it was only 38 degrees F! Yikes! But the sun came out and the sky was blue.
Were convinced to tackle the Lighthouse Trail with Gigi and Jerry, VERY seasoned bikers who, I think, thought we were more seasoned (and fit and young and and and) than we are!
They shuttled us to the trailhead and we took off about 10:45.
Now, I'm not good at aiming my tires on small paths OR going down hills, so I was worried. David, of course, is fearless. But Gigi taught me and coached me and all three of them were kind in waiting for me when I needed to walk and not ride.
We reached the foot of the “Lighthouse”, about 3 miles in, relatively unscathed.
Then a fairly arduous climb straight up to a plateau that, when reached, took our breath away. You'll have to see the photos...I don't have the words.
I felt exhilarated and very proud of us. The foot climb down was treacherous, especially for me, and we went down backwards (no photos of that thankfully).
The return ride was faster and I was much braver and we made it. I didn't want it to end, so we rode the extra mile back to the campsite.
Lots of cold beer and stuffed jalapenos were our rewards. As were the 20-30 wild turkeys who were everywhere on the campground along with a deer.
Some resting, photo uploading, a visit with Arkansas neighbours who wanted to tour the MH, good dinner and the aches are starting.
Took a drive with Gigi and Jerry to see some stars at the furthest campground and saw a shooting star and what appeared to be a meteor (long shiny stram and ten bright green burst at end! Really. Just what I needed to end this best day ever (sadly David stayed with Cassie). Jerry and Gigi are the kindest most generous people with their time, treats and encouragement. Lucky us.
Here are our photo albums so far:
No comments:
Post a Comment