Wednesday, March 6, 2013

BBB Day 10

 

March 5

Biked 3 miles (and I hiked 1 more)

Time to bid Galveston goodbye, even though it was 73 degrees early in the morning. We headed to Goose Island, hoping for Whooping Cranes.

During the drive along the rest of Galveston Island, we noted that there were plenty of Public Access points to the beaches. Great idea. Take THAT Maine (which makes NO beaches private from our experience).

The drive was quiet and we saw a few things:

  • “Do Not Pick Up Hitch Hikers” sign beside a prison
  • “The Promised Land Cemetery”
  • First Texas Longhorn
  • “The Fighting Sandcrabs”, a highschool team (with a 3,000 seat stadium!)
  • “Czech out our Sausage Kolaches” (I think kolaches are a kind of biscuit)
  • Wide open spaces

The drive took us from seas side to oil refineries to FLAT agricultural land through a dust storm and a sign to “Olivia” (a town named after my Mom!)

We got to Goose Island State Park (after a shop at H.E.B., a great and reasonable Texas grocery store) around noon, found a site for two nights and took a bike ride. So far, none of the many birds we saw here last time. Even during my short hike, I saw zero birds until I saw this Tufted Titmouse preening in the neighbour’s van window:

 

1-DSCN1987

Here’s the view from my chair (much like an Ontario park, but WAY cheaper):

 

1-DSCN1983

No comments:

Post a Comment